FDNY EMS Retirees Scholarship for members in good standing.  See the bulletin board under Organizational Issues for more information and the applications! Or see the sidebar. Click "Members only" above and register today if you have not already done so!  If you are not a member, you must become one before being granted access to this area.  

As a side note, NYC retirees are eligible for reimbursement of the insurance premium for your Medicare.  This should be the only cost you will incur if you are collecting Social Security.  For those that are also former DC37 union members, you should have received info advising you NOT to take Medicare Part D for scripts, to keep your union plan.  You can keep your plan if it is better than or as good as Part D with no problem.  There is no cost to the union plan, so already it is better than the Government plan.  If Dc37 ever kicks us to the curb and we have to go to a Part D, there will be no penalty.
You should contact Office of Labor Relations 212-513-0470 who handles your insurance if you are Medicare eligible.  Every year OLR (Office of Labor Relations) mails Medicare eligible retirees that registered with their office a check for the reimbursement rate of their Medicare Premiums.

MEDICARE and Health Insurance

If you are Medicare eligible and need help with these plans, please contact DC37 at 212-815-1234.  If you contact OLR they will advise you to contact the Medicare division of the plan you want if you decide to take the "Advantage" plans which is your city plan and medicare in one.  There are two ways to go about this.  1. Medicare is your primary insurance and your City Health is your secondary.  After the year is over, you will get a majority of your Medicare payments reimbursed to you.  or  2.  You convert your City health plan and Medicare into a "Medicare Advantage" plan which is Medicare run by the Insurance Agency.  (NOTE**  This plan has been targeted by DC37 and AFSCME as it is a form of privatizing Medicare and the Government is paying these insurers a higher rate than regular Medicare thus straining the Medicare funds.  For Example, if you had Aetna as an employee.  As a retiree, Medicare eligible, you can participate in the City Aetna Medicare Plan by just calling Aetna.  Other plans are the same, this was just an example.)  Make sure if you choose to do this, when you move to a Medicare Advantage Plan, you move to the City Group plan, it is less expensive.  In August, if you registered with OLR, you too will get your Medicare premiums returned. 

You have 2 years from the date of Social Security approval to file for Medicare.  Contact OLR to see what Medicare Plans are available or go to their website.

You will need to get a "DIS-ENROLLMENT" form from your old plan if you choose the Advantage plan once your Medicare has gone through and send it to OLR.  They can done this over the phone.  They will reimburse you the Medicare Premium.



It is a well known problem that when you retire and need continued care for a Line of Duty Injury (LODI), Comp has not always been easy to work with, especially when you are retired and move out of NYS.  It is this reason we developed a brochure to help both you and your doctors ensure they get paid and you get your treatment.  In this small section, you will find the brochure on this topic, necessary forms and a video of the new law changes governing when you need authorizations and more. We hope you find it helpful. If you are having a specific problem and cannot work it out, please contact us.

Remember, all C-4's or HCFA forms must be filed with the NYC Law Department, Workers' Compensation Division.  If you find they are being ignored, they must then be filed with the State office as well. 

A Brochure on Workers' Comp when you live out of NYS

The NYC Law Department Workers' Compensation Division
350 Jay Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Supervisor of Claims: Eric Shenk 718-222-2157

Claim Examiners:
Last names A-K: Chaiffa Wymes 718-222-2177
             L-Z: Kim Lowers 718-222-2158

Fax number 718-222-2391

Whenever you send them documents via fax, call them and ask them to go to the machine to ensure it was delivered, or ask them for their email address so you can send documents to them via email. I usually scan documents into a PDF file and send it to them with a read receipt. 

If you need to send bills or documents to the State Board as well as the Law Department, those should be mailed to:

NYS Workers' Compensation Board
PO Box 5205
Binghamton, NY 13902-5205

Workers' Comp For Retirees Out of State Brochure

Forms in the brochure, click each to open
The NYS Workers' Comp Website:
Commonly used forms are found under the link at the top called "Common Forms."  Remember if the doctor files these properly he will be paid by law in 45 days.

Video on Workers' Comp New Reform laws (12 minutes)
(You need Power Point to view this, if you do not have this program, click here to download a free viewer )

The part of the bill that you really need to be aware of is as follows:


Section 13 of the Workers' Compensation Law, pre 03/13/07, requires a provider to obtain advance authorization for special treatments or diagnostic tests costing more than $500.00. Section 13 has been amended to increase the cost of the medical service to be provided without prior authorization from the carriers from $500.00 to $1,000.00.

Section 13 of the Workers' Compensation Law was also amended to allow the employers or carriers to direct care with respect to diagnostic procedures. Upon proper notification and subject to a location within a "reasonable" distance, a carrier can require the claimant to have the diagnostic tests done with a specific vendor(s) or network(s). There is however an exception. In an emergency situation, a medical provider can order the procedure without going through the carrier's vendor of choice.

The amendment of Section 13 also allows the Chair of the Workers' Compensation Board to adopt Pharmaceutical Fee Schedule as well as fee schedules for other services such a prosthetic devices and dental care.


15% off of any order for FDNY EMS Retirees. The promotion code is FDNY. When placing an order mention this code to the Sales Representative or you may use this code on-line at  or simply call 1-800-FLOWERS.



The Director of the National Park Service Mary A. Bomar's office offered the follow information:

There are two passes, one for the Disabled and one for Seniors.  Click here for the Senior Pass.

To get the pass you need to bring proof of disability, Workers Comp Decision, Social Security Disability letter, Letter from Doctor as proof of permanent disability. To any national park that charges admission. You go to the parke administrative office and the Access pass will be issued on the spot.

The ones local to NYC are;

Sagamore Hill NHS
20 Sagamore Hill Road
Oyster Bay, NY 11771

The site can be reached from two major Long Island highways.

Take either the Northern State Parkway to Exit 35N or the Long Island Expressway (I-495) to Exit 41N. At those exits, take Route 106 North for 4 miles. Turn right/east on Route 25A and travel 2.5 miles. At the third traffic light, turn left/northwest and take Cove Road for 1.7 miles. Turn right/north and take Cove Neck Road 1.5 miles to Sagamore Hill.

The Belt/Cross Island, Grand Central parallel the NSP and LIE/I-495. The Southern State Parkway connects to NSP/LIE via the Wantaugh/Meadowbrook Parkways, or the Seaford/Oyster Bay Expressway. Take Southern State Exit 28AN to Route 135 North (Seaford/Oyster Bay Expressway) for 10 miles to Exit 14E (Woodbury) and Route 25 (Jericho Turnpike). Turn right/east, travel to the third traffic light. Turn left on South Woods Road, traveling 1.6 miles to its end and turn right on to Cold Spring Road. Travel 1 mile to Route 25A intersection. Turn left on Route 25A and travel 0.7 miles downhill to the Cove Road stoplight. Turn right on Cove Road for 1.7 miles to Cove Neck Road. Turn right on Cove Neck Road and follow the signs for 1.5 miles to Sagamore Hill.


Hyde Park
National Park Service
4097 Albany Post Road
Hyde Park, NY 12538

The Home of Franklin Roosevelt is located in on Route 9 in Hyde Park, NY. about 90 miles north of New York City and 70 miles south of Albany.
Driving From the New York State Thruway (I-87): Exit 18 (New Paltz), take 299 east, to 9W south, follow the signs to Mid-Hudson bridge (also known
as the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Bridge). After bridge crossing follow over head signs to Route 9 North. You will come to the Roosevelt Home first approximately 5 miles north once you exit the Bridge. The Vanderbilt Mansion is approximately 2 miles north of the Roosevelt Home. Both sites are located on the left.

From the Taconic State Parkway:
Northbound vehicles: exit at Route 55 west (Poughkeepsie). Follow Route 55 west to Route 9 north. Once on Route 9 the Roosevelt Home is approximately 5 miles north on Route 9. (See above for Vanderbilt).

Southbound vehicles: exit at Red Hook onto Route 199 west. Take Route 308 west to Route 199. Proceed to Route 9 south (left hand turn at light). Located approximately 12 miles from Rhinebeck on Route 9. (Note: commercial vehicles are not allowed on the parkway)

From New York City: Henry Hudson Parkway (Route 9A) to the Sawmill River Parkway to the Taconic State Parkway. See Taconic State Parkway
(northbound) directions above or proceed north on the Palisades Parkway to the New York State Thruway (I-87). See directions from the
New York State Thruway above.

From Long Island: Proceed west on the Cross Bronx Expressway to the New York State Thruway (I-87) northbound. See directions from New York State Thruway (I-87) above, or cross the Throggs Neck Bridge, follow I-95 to the Hutchinson River Parkway North to I-684 to I-84 west. Take exit for the Taconic State Parkway north. Follow directions from Taconic State Parkway (northbound) above.

From New Jersey: Proceed north on the Garden State Parkway on the New York State Thruway (I-87). See directions for New York State Thruway


What is the Access Pass?
The Access Pass is the replacement for the Golden Access Passport as of January 2007. The pass is for citizens or permanent residents of the United States, regardless of age, who have been medically determined to have a permanent disability. It provides access to, and use of, any Federal recreation site that charges an Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee and provides a discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees. The pass must be obtained in person.

What does it cost and how long is it valid?
The Access Pass is free, and it is valid for the lifetime of the pass holder. Photo identification may be requested to verify pass ownership.

If I have a Golden Access Passport is it still valid?
Yes, Golden Access Passports are valid for a lifetime and are equivalent to the new Access Pass.

Where can I obtain an Access Pass?
An Access Pass can be obtained in person from a participating Federal recreation site or office.

Who qualifies for the Access Pass?
The pass may be issued to U.S. Citizens or permanent residents of the U.S., regardless of age, that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability that severely limits one or more major life activities.

A permanent disability is a permanent physical, mental, or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

What type of documentation do I need to present in order to get the Access Pass?
Some examples of acceptable documentation include: statement by a licensed physician; document issued by Federal agency such as the Veteran's Administration, Social Security Disability Income or Supplemental Security Income; or document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency.

If I am partially disabled do I qualify for the Access Pass?
If you believe you qualify based on the definition of permanent disability and have supporting official documentation for the disability, you can be issued a pass.

Can my child get an Access Pass?
Yes. This allows the caregivers to enter Federal Recreation sites when accompanying the child.

What if my Access Pass is lost, stolen or damaged?
If an Access Pass is lost or stolen, you may be issued a new one with proper documentation. The Access Pass is replaceable if damaged as long as identification is provided to validate ownership and a portion of the pass is identifiable.

Which agencies honor the Access Pass?
The Forest Service, the National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation honor the Access Pass at sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fees are charged. In addition, the Corps of Engineers and Tennessee Valley Authority may honor the Access Pass. Check with the local site for more information.

Why is the US Army Corps of Engineers accepting the Interagency Senior and Access passes but not issuing or selling the passes?
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was not included in the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act of 2004 (REA), which created the new America the Beautiful - the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass program authority. Although the Corps will not sell or issue the new passes, the Corps will accept only the new Interagency Senior and Interagency Access Passes or previously issued Golden Age or Access Passports as proof of eligibility for age- and disability- related discounts. More information may be found at:

What does the Access Pass cover?
The Access Pass admits pass holder/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas. (Children under 16 always admitted free).

My family is traveling in two cars; will the Access Pass let all of us into the site?
Only the vehicle with the pass holder is covered. The second vehicle is subject to an entrance fee, or must be carrying a second pass.

My spouse and I are each riding our own motorcycle or scooter; will one Access Pass cover both our entries?
No. At sites with per vehicle entrance fees the Access Pass willcover entrance for the pass holder on one motorcycle only.

Does the Access Pass include any discounts at Federal Recreation sites?
The Access Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires. Inquire locally for pass acceptance policies.

What are the 50% discount guidelines?
Inquire locally for pass acceptance policies. In general discounts are honored as follows:

Individual Campsites: The discount only applies to the fee for the campsite physically occupied by the pass holder, not to any additional campsite(s) occupied by members of the pass holder's party. Sites with Utility Hookups: If utility fees are charged for separately there is no discount. The discount may apply if the
utility fee is combined (seamless) with the campsite fee. Group Campsites and Facilities (including, but not limited to, group facilities, picnic areas or pavilions): There is no discount for group campsites and other group facilities that charge a flat fee. If the group campsite has a per person fee rate, only the pass holder
receives a discount; others using the site pay the full fee. Guided Tours: The pass offers discounts on some guided tours. Only the pass holder receives a discount if one is offered.

Transportation Systems: It depends. Check with the local recreation site. Concessionaire Fees, Special Recreation, and Special Park Use Permit Fees: These fees might include, but are not limited to, lodging, campgrounds, tours, etc. Each concession contract varies with the
site and the agency. Please check directly with the local recreation site about their discount policies.

How can I tell the difference between a Standard Amenity Fee, an Expanded Amenity Fee, a Special Recreation Permit Fee, or a Concessionaire Fee?
There are thousands of Federal recreation sites and fees vary across the Federal agencies. Please inquire locally about fees, pass acceptance and discount policies.

Does my Access Pass provide any discounts at Cooperating Association bookstores or gift shops that are located in the Federal Recreation
sites (i.e. the Grand Canyon or Okeefenokee bookstores)?

No. The Access Pass does not cover discounts in on-site bookstores or gift stores.

Is an Access Pass valid at State Parks or local Recreation Areas?
No. Federal Recreation sites are operated by the Federal government, whereas State Parks are operated by state governments, and local Recreation sites are operated by local governments.

SOURCE: USGS website:


For Only $10 YOU can get a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.




2 Discount cards are available; one for seniors and the other for disabled. Click the links for the applications.